Wednesday 21 September 2011

What University program to take in order to become an oncologist/pediatrician/ or Pediatric Oncologist?

I am a grade 11 student who is in his 2nd semester. I have so far taken the courses (In grade 11):



Semester 1:



Biology Grade 11 (85%)

Functions And Applications (university/college) (85%)

Philosophy (90%)

Accounting (80%)



Semester 2:



Chemistry Grade 11

English

Com. Tech.

Physical Education



I can always change some Semester 2 Classes. I am confused as to what University Program I would apply for if I were to pursue something in Oncology/pediatrics/ maybe even a cardiologist. I am not entirely good with surgery however, Its still an option.



I would really like any help with University Programs to take out of high school when applying for university. I am really confused. I tried finding some undergrad oncology/pediatrics/cardiology programs but it seems as though those don't really exist unfortunately.



I am really worried If I meet the requirements for health and medicine programs in University. I've checked them out and for the most part, you don't need ALL THREE sciences 12 although recommended. I have 2 of the 3 sciences (no physics) and I am wondering if I should take that as well... I also see a lot of the times you need advanced functions and calculus and vectors. Which would mean I would have to plead my guidance counselor to let me take advanced functions and calculus without the pre-requisite of functions.



I am not some 99 percent student. I am trying very hard. Considering last year I was failing everything (literally), I think I've really turned it around for my senior years.



So basically, what high school courses are ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL to even being applicable for a program in university and which are just MANDATORY?



And,



What program would I apply for first year university if I want to pursue some non-surgical oncology/pediatrics/ cardiology etc...



I am also thinking about kenisiology, as I am myself, a basketball player. But, I know that you can easily find programs for that, and that is pretty straight forward.



THANK YOU SO MUCH.
What University program to take in order to become an oncologist/pediatrician/ or Pediatric Oncologist?
there aren't any courses that are mandatory in high school to be eligible for what you want to study in college. just take the classes that will get you into a good college: honors, AP, community college, and since you're interested in the medical field, take a medical health class or whatever your school offers. volunteer at a hospital or something. as long as you get into a college, you can then choose whatever you want to study afterwards.

most likely, you would go into the pre-medical program.

i am pursuing dentistry eventually, and i start my freshman year of college this fall, so i'll tell be labeled as a pre-dental student, but my major will end up being biology or chemistry. i could go to dentistry school without being pre-dental, as long as my major is relevant...does that make sense? most people that want a profession in medicine will major in a biology or a chemistry for their bachelor's.

during your first four years of university, the pre-professional labels just help you choose your classes.



ask a counselor at your high school, they might explain it better =]
  • thin hair
  • computer eye strain
  •