Saturday 24 September 2011

Should I finish my AA Degree or just quit?

Long story made short: Right out of HS I went to university on a partial scholarship based on ACT/SAT scores. Did well the first month or so, then got bored and quit going to class. Grades fell...lost scholarship...transferred to community college. After a few years at CC, finally got diploma in office education (after at least 3 program changes; I always started out doing really well, then got bored and quit). This fall, I got a wild hair and enrolled in CC again to finish AA degree, with possibility of going to for bachelor's. I work full time, carry 13 credits and a 4.0 for the semester, which ends next week. I have 18 credits left after this semester, but the problem is....I have absolutely zero intent of ever using my AA degree for anything. There is no major which interests me enough to study it for 2 more years, and I absolutely can not just continue with college for the sake of getting a General Studies degree. I guess my farm upbringing doesn't allow for doing something just for the sake of being able to say I did it...it has to serve a purpose.



Would you continue toward the AA degree, or would you just cut your losses? I'm not talking about %26quot;maybe someday in the future I'll want to get my bachelor's degree%26quot;. I think about the money I could make with a bachelor's degree (or better), but I honestly can't see how it could be worth it. Oh, and I'm 38 years old and have been in the workforce full-time since 1994. In all this time, I can't think of one %26quot;degree required%26quot; job that I wanted.
Should I finish my AA Degree or just quit?
I would say finish just for accomplishment reasons alone. Even if you never use it it would be nice for your personal self-esteem. Now if that is neither here nor there for you then save the money and drop out but try to see it to the end you never want to say %26quot;Shoulda, Woulda, Coulda%26quot; later in life.