Saturday 24 September 2011

Is changing majors beneficial or not?

I started college in 2006. I have 55 earned credits, which I believe qualifies me as a sophomore and I need 128 credits to graduate. I am an English major and I am in the Winter semester of 2009. According to my program, I am supposed to graduate in 2011. Finally, I want to be an author.



I am fond of writing novels, however, I have very little time for it and I don't have any ideas. I have a lot of friends whom are art majors and some of them are graduating soon. My boyfriend also graduated with a BA in Graphic Design. On campus, I am always in the Art Department but I am not taking any art classes at the moment.



Due to some persuasion and the fact the English classes are long, boring, and don't allow me to write fiction. (I have not written anything in awhile). I have been contemplating on whether or not to change majors.



I have always been a creative person.



My problem is that my family may not be as supportive towards the idea of changing majors. I have not made a decision yet. I am planning on minoring in Art. However, I'm not too sure if English is what I want to do anymore. I like writing stories as opposed to long, boring essays and research pepers about A and B and La la la. I don't get to do that in these classes. We read, discuss, and do research.



So boring! I don't want my whole family getting upset and blowing a gasket...The Art majors require the same amount of credits (128). My courses would change. My credits should transfer, and I think I will graduate about the same time. I haven't talked to too many people yet except friends (for the idea) and one uncle (who believes it will cost my mother extra money). I also believe that I will be more than likely to pass classes that I will enjoy taking.



So, is it a good idea to change majors?
Is changing majors beneficial or not?
wow, English classes are boring....... now THAT is a revelation!



Hun, if you want to change majors, then do so. You need to follow your passion while you are still young enough to do so. Soon enough come bills, rent, car insurance and all the other wonderful things that go along with being a college grad.



Go see someone in academic advising to show you what you would need to do to make the right decision. They can tell you exactly how many of your 55 credits apply towards the other major. It is possible that you may 'lose' a few, but you have to decide based upon information, not speculation. Make a rational informed choice. Tell the uncle to butt out. Offer to pay for a semester on your own if necessary.



In the end, it is your life, and if you let the family make the decisions for you, you will end up resenting it later.
Is changing majors beneficial or not?
Someone, somewhere should be happy that you have decided what you want to do. With only 55 hours, more than likely they ALL will count for something, if not electives. Do what you love, but get the facts for those footing the bill.
If the only reason you want to switch from being an English major to an Art major is so you'll have more time to write fiction then you're wasting your time.



So you like to write fiction. Awesome. Tons of people do too. But, for most people, writing fiction isn't a job--it's a hobby they do on the side while working a real job. Your chance of %26quot;making it big%26quot; is small. If you want a job writing you need to come to terms with the fact that most of what you're going to write will be articles, columns, research papers, et cetera. The %26quot;long, boring%26quot; stuff.



If you're not interested in writing papers then, yeah, being an English major isn't for you. But you haven't mentioned any *actual interest* in art. So you have friends who are art majors and your boyfriend majored in Graphic Design.



Okay. And..? That means nothing at all. Can you actually draw? Or paint? Do you really have much artistic ability at all or do you just label yourself creative because you have a DeviantArt account?



Do you realize how many hours it takes to create an even vaguely acceptable piece of art? Drawing isn't easy and most of the people I know who are in art spend most of their life busy drawing. Recently a friend of mine only got two hours of sleep in two days because he was working so hard. He didn't eat, he didn't sleep, his entire time was just working in the art studio. (And, no, he wasn't doing that because he procrastinated.)
You don't need to be in a particular English class to write. If you're really that interested in and passionate about writing, then you should be writing every day, even if it's not for a class.



Switching to an art major may not be as easy as you think. If you're contemplating a BFA then a lot of your liberal arts classes may not count toward your requirements. [BFA may require many %26quot;foundations%26quot; courses, usually taken by freshmen.] A BA in art may be easier to switch to. You didn't say that you are at all passionate about art, so that may not be a good field to switch to. English would be a better %26quot;sell%26quot; as far as job-hunting, although in this economy, nothing is certain.