Saturday 24 September 2011

I am very interested in being a part of a foreign exchange program, however I am somewhat confused?

***-Before you begin reading, I apologize for this paragraph beige so long, please don't let it hold you back from answering the question!-***



I am very interested being part of a foreign exchange program going to Ireland. I have always wanted to visit [Ireland] and I think that this would be the perfect opportunity. I just started high school, and if I were to do this, I would prefer going to Ireland around my sophomore year, my junior year would be too confusing with tests, colleges, etcetera. I would also prefer to do it for one semester or during the summer, however I have heard that [a person] would not get the full value of a trip during the summer. I believe that this would be a major learning experience, a life changing one, too. I have found reliable programs such as AFS, Two Worlds United, cci-exchange, along with Rotary. I have heard the best reviews with Rotary, however I am extremely confused about the program. Money is an issue, so I would hope to find a cheaper program, but still with the full value. (Hard to get, huh?) My mom said it could be a possibility, but I have a feeling it is more of a no, because neither parent knows much about any program. Cost once again has a MAJOR affect. So my question is, does anyone have any information about any reliable programs, more info on Rotary, and if you have ever been part of a foreign exchange program, what was it like, regardless of where you went? I also need the best advice on how to convince my parents to let me do this, I really do want to be a foreign exchange student, and learn more about my family's culture and background. If it helps, I live in the US.



Thank you so much for your time!
I am very interested in being a part of a foreign exchange program, however I am somewhat confused?
First off, I'd question the value of going to Ireland for you. You would be missing out on one of the biggest long term benefits of an exchange -- learning a new language. That would be a life-long benefit for you -- including financially!



Secondly, about programs. If you're finding Rotary to be too expensive, then you will have much more difficulties with the others. Rotary is about the cheapest way to do an exchange! It's also the most competitive program to get into. Most programs do offer scholarships and some places offer loans as well.



I'm not sure where you got information on the programs you listed, but some are definitely NOT reliable -- especially %26quot;Two Worlds United%26quot; which has horrible reviews. It isn't even CSIET (www.csiet.org) listed, which is a BIG red flag! You should stick with the premier organizations -- AFS, YFU, Rotary. Or, at the very least, get a recommendation from you school counselor on trustworthy organizations that he/she deals with.



In the case of a foreign exchange, %26quot;cheaper%26quot; with %26quot;full value%26quot; doesn't equate. The last thing you want is problems in a foreign country with a %26quot;cheap%26quot; program that doesn't live up to what you paid for! And this happens ALL TOO OFTEN.



Now, how to persuade your parents. First, seriously consider your junior year. You'll be able to work your high school schedule around it, considering you're currently a freshman, so that you can graduate on time. You'll most likely get some credit for your exchange and you can probably double up or take a summer course. You can tell your parents as a junior, you will be mature enough to go.



Some benefits:



1. Colleges and universities LOVE exchange students and often offer preferred admissions and/or scholarship opportunities.



2. By learning a second language, you can greatly increase your future earning potential.



3. You will become more tolerant, open minded and versed in different cultures.



4. You will be an ambassador for the U.S., to teach others what we are REALLY like.



For lots more info, and a good site to show your parents, go to:

http://www.exchangestudentworld.com/



This is an online forum and information center for exchange students.



Good luck!




I am very interested in being a part of a foreign exchange program, however I am somewhat confused?
All of them say practically the same because everyone asks practically the same questions! If people would do a YA search, it would save a lot of time! BTW The phrase %26quot;money is an issue%26quot; generally implies it would be difficult to afford something.

Report Abuse


Thanks so much this article. It has really helped.

Report Abuse