Saturday 24 September 2011

I thinking about changing my major, Advice?

I'm currently a psychology major, it's ok, i don't hate it, just don't love it. Ever since i could remember I have always, like seriously, been absolutely fascinated with the universe. Like: planets, stars, space (space-time), how everything is moving. and how this all affects us, etc... In high school I did extremely well in math, made a 4 on the calculus ap exam (the only ap course my school could afford), and i really love numbers, i actually find myself missing my math classes and this semester i even i took a logic (not exactly like math, but close) course just to get the rush again. but i am so far invested in my major that i am unsure about making the change. What makes me think about it even more a few months ago i looked at my roommate and best friend a psychology major who loves psychology and has books about that stuff and then me, I have almost the entire %26quot;A very short intro series%26quot; on anything dealing with physics, 3 books by Stephen Hawking (though 2 are very similar), and countless little %26quot;finds%26quot;. If I do change, I can see myself dabbling more in astrophysics definitely more theoretical then applied. I never thought about it as a major in high school, no one even mentioned science to me or any of the other females in Honors program. it was always business, nursing, or psychology/sociology or some other soft science, so i didn't think it could be taken seriously. My sister asked me a while ago why I didn't major in it (she's at a different high school and coming to my university next year), and that's when i begin to really think about it. I just thought it was like just some other thing i really liked.



And then of course there's the time and money. And I am pretty sure physics not a field that pays well either so i need to take that into consideration. Any advice



I'm just unsure, this is the rest of my life, after all.

I am a junior, rising senior, yeah I know =(
I thinking about changing my major, Advice?
That's great that you're considering what you have a passion for and where to take that passion and make a living out of it :) They say that 'if you love what you do, you'll never have to work a day in your life' ;)



For general career information: http://www.bls.gov/oco and can search 'physicists and astronomers' (may need doctorate for research) or whatever other career that piques one's interest.



US colleges: http://www.utexas.edu/world/univ