Saturday 24 September 2011

I am a recent college grad, who had the intention of going into a masters program to help others...?

(social services of some kind-counseling or special education).. I have always wanted to do these things, I have felt that it was a calling, and frankly I believed that it was %26quot;God's Plan%26quot; for me. Latley, I have been thinking about going to cosmetology school. I enjoy the cosmetology field and have FUN doing it, but not totally gratified. However, I feel very guilty about changing my mind or turning my back on dedicating my life to helping others. Any suggestions?
I am a recent college grad, who had the intention of going into a masters program to help others...?
There are more ways of helping people and making a difference to people's lives than through social care. Helping people feel better about how they look and feel, and therefore improving their self esteem is also a valuable thing to do. These may not be the same people that you were thinking of helping originally but it makes it no less a worthwhile job.
I am a recent college grad, who had the intention of going into a masters program to help others...?
hey do what makes u happi X-)
This is going to sound harsh--but I don't want to attack you--just some hard facts.



People with disabilities, etc. DO NOT need %26quot;social workers, etc.%26quot; who are there to %26quot;help the poor unfortunates.%26quot; We do need people who are competant, professional, and who see their role as providing the special services we need--to people who are citizens and consumers, not patients or clients. And who respect us as human beings. People who go into that kind of work because they think it s their %26quot;callling to help the helpless%26quot; are not helping--they are perpetuating the stereotypes and institutions that relegate us to the margins of society.



Let me give you an example. A few years ago, some social workers recommended that a young blind woman be given training as a computer data entry operator--and because they decided that was her %26quot;aptitude,%26quot; that wa s the only opportunity they would offer her. She had contacted this particular agency to inquire about training in some new assistive technology she need to learn how to use, not for job placement--and %26quot;agreed%26quot; to the job training only because that was the only way she could get the training she actually needed.



So what's the issue here? Simple: the social workers %26quot;knew%26quot; she was suited only for limited employment because of her disability. And ignored the fact that she had just graduated-with honors--from Harvard.



If you want to %26quot;help the helpless%26quot;-spare us. If you want to shake up the system and help us open doors to equality and full participation in society as citizens and human beings--welcome.