Wednesday 21 September 2011

My 4 year old recently started a preschool program, he has always stayed home with my husband and I so this is?

a very big change for him, his teacher has very high expectations for him and expects his to already know all the ins and outs and he dosent so he often gets in trouble, he has been in time out several times already and its breaking his heart, I understand he needs to learn how to act and follow the rules but think he needs time to get used to things before she is so hard on him! I am sure he is AD-HD and I know he has to be handled in a special way, our doctors down here wont diagnose until after 6 so it is making this situation so hard for me, I don't know how to support him and make this as easy for him as possible, its really turning him against school and I don't want him to get discouraged what do I do(Father has severe AD-HD! And our child has so many of the same symptoms, hard time going to sleep, uncontrollable tantrums no matter what type of discipline!)
My 4 year old recently started a preschool program, he has always stayed home with my husband and I so this is?
You're a good mom to be seeking answers to this situation! Give yourself a pat on the back, and keep asking those questions. Make an appointment to talk with the teacher, and with your child's doctor to discuss your concerns. You don't necessarily need a diagnosis, especially at this age. And you certainly don't want your child medicated. There are a lot of different ways to help your child manage his attention deficit. Some work for one person and not another, so you will need to be very patient and persistent. Try researching it on line. I had one student who responded incredibly well to including one egg in her breakfast every morning. The protein in the egg helped her to focus and control her behavior. Some people find that a little caffeine (backwards as that sounds!) is very helpful. You may want to try avoiding excess sugar, like stay away from those highly sweetened breakfast foods marketed for kids!! And I've heard that red dyes in foods are a trigger for some people. Also, teach him to calm himself. Teach him deep breathing, and try to find a relaxation technique that works for him. We have some children in our classroom this year that are probably ADHD, and we do yoga every day for 10 or 15 minutes to help them all calm down. Check out this CD: http://www.amazon.com/Indigo-Dreams-Rela鈥?/a> He may enjoy listening to it to help him relax, or you might want to use something like it for bedtime to help him settle down. Nothing is going to work instantly, you're going to have to give everything you try a little time, but please don't give up. Teaching him to manage his own behavior will be a tremendous skill for him to have in the future. That's why I discourage medication except in extreme cases...it doesn't teach the person to manage their disorder themselves. I googled adhd in children, and here's the search result: http://www.google.com/search?q=adhd+in+c鈥?/a> Check out some of these sites and I bet you will find something helpful! And just one more thought, if the teacher is not willing to work with your child and help him, you may want to find a different teacher.
My 4 year old recently started a preschool program, he has always stayed home with my husband and I so this is?
He may have adhd, but he could also just be an active four year old who had free run of his home and now has to adjust to a different system. Time out isn't bad -- it gives them a chance to calm down.You could start a sticker chart for every day he makes it with no times out and then give him a reward. Also, you might want to try having him go just a half day or one or two days a week for awhile. If you feel the teacher is too strict, arrange a meeting with her and the school head to see what can be worked out. Maybe he could have another teacher.