Wednesday 21 September 2011

Questions about taking an Automotive Technology program?

I want to be a mechanic. Or technician whatever lol. I am planning on taking a Toyota or BMW program (probably Toyota) at my local community college Central Piedmont Community College.



I love cars, always have. I like to work on my car. I always change my oil my transmission oil, etc. in other words I do my basic maintenance myself. I have also replaced a radiator in my Accord. But that is where my experience starts to die down...I have put a new intake and new headlights/tailights and a new battery, window regulators, and sound systems in my car. Thats about all I can think of...



I just don't want to go into the program and feel like a rookie around all the guys who are also in the program that have been doing that stuff for years and they know all of it already. For example: I don't know anything about transmissions. I know what a clutch is, but thats about it. There will be some people in my classes that will have done transmission rebuilds, engine swaps, stuff like that. And I don't know much about any of that.



In other words, I'm not sure if I'm prepared for the program. Are there some things you're already expected to know about?



I don't want to go in there and be completely overwhelmed. So can I get some thoughts/experiences please?



Thanks guys!
Questions about taking an Automotive Technology program?
Don't worry about feeling like a rookie. Most everyone taking the classes will have the same experience as you. If they knew how to do everything they wouldn't be taking the classes. I took a two year automotive class back in the early 80, felt the same way you did when I first started.