Friday 7 October 2011

Transfering to another Ph.D. program at a different school?

I am currently in my 3rd year in a Ph.D. program. I am wondering if there are people who changed school after getting into a Ph.D. program. Simply put, I cannot get any assistance from professors because my research topic has changed over the course of my graduate work. I have done some national and international conference presentations, but I always work on my own while others are working closely with his/her professors. I thought I really wanted to go somewhere else for my own sake. I already applied to 2 schools and I am waiting to hear from them. I know changing schools will postpone my graduation but I want to prioritize my research interests rather than graduate early.
Transfering to another Ph.D. program at a different school?
I'm guessing that you're doing okay, but are discouraged. Everyone is at this stage. Since you have been working on your own, which everyone ought to do, they're simply leaving you alone to do your stuff. Yes, it is lonely, but you're not there for good fellowship.



As long as you are making progress on your research--that means that you must read and summarize a couple of papers every week, or whatever it is that you do in your particular endeavor--and you're square with your course work and whatever duties you are expected to perform with regards to teaching or other work for the school, then you're fine. I know it doesn't feel like it, but you're probably in good standing there.



You are at the stage where grim slogging is in order. The task now is as follows: You must assure everyone in your department that, until such time as they throw you out, they will continue to see your shining face every goddam day. In the meantime, you will do everything they ask you to do, and much of that can be interpreted as demeaning and, to an extent, hazing. Perhaps it is, but this is why there aren't a lot of people with doctorates.



I know that it looks like everyone else is having a good time interacting with their professors. It will be of interest later on to see which of them actually graduates and which do not: your third year is the time of the great dying, and the faculty is waiting around to see what you will do.



What they probably didn't tell you at the beginning is that getting a doctorate involves as much determination as intelligence. A certain amount of character is also involved, and those are being tested at present. Remember that you are nominally being trained to be an independent researcher: once you've graduated, you'd be expected to start your own research program or laboratory or whatever. And that's just what you're learning to do.



If I knew what stage you were at--I'm guessing that you're running up to your comprehensives and are completing work on a dissertation proposal--I'd be able to give you more specific advice.



But I wouldn't bail out just yet. Dare them to throw you out: they probably won't have the nerve. Also, you can only transfer something silly, like six credits worth of work from one university to another. It would be more practical to start again at your present place in another program, if it came to that, but I don't think it will.
Transfering to another Ph.D. program at a different school?
I doubt much, if any of your current Ph.D. work would transfer to a new school. If you produce course materials and work you might try, but I doubt. Better stay, graduate, and not waste your money.
Yep, I switched programs after 2.5 years. Most of my classes transferred, although you will need to take any qualifying exams the new school requires. If you're not happy where you are, then go. It's not worth it to stick around somewhere if you're not getting the support you need.
My friend was a third year at another school and her whole lab moved to the university I am currently at. However, now she had to take classes over and take the prelims, which are more difficult here than they were there. As long as you know what might happen and accept the delay then I'd go for it.
If you're not getting the guidance you need, and none of the faculty at your school is up to date on your topic, then yes, it's probably a good idea to transfer. As long as the new school has a more suitable advisor for you, is a good program and will fund you, you will be better off, even if you have to retake some courses and/or exams.