Wednesday 26 October 2011

Changing careers and becoming a teacher ? Want to teach but don't have any experience..?

For the last 3 years I worked for a financial services company doing document imaging work and now I'm considering changing careers and becoming a teacher. I'm in the process of filling out an application for a teaching fellowship program but I'm worried that I don't have the right kind of experience . When I was younger, I always wanted to teach but I never pursued it. I've been thinking about it more and more mainly because I've become bored with my current job but I'm a little worried because I don't have any experience. The main reason why I wanted to teach was because I didn't like the way most of the teachers I had taught me and I always wanted to be a positive influence on young people but I've never worked with kids. Will this work against me ? What can I do ?
Changing careers and becoming a teacher ? Want to teach but don't have any experience..?
You sound like a great candidate for a teacher. The best teachers always lament how they didn't like how they were taught. The best way to find out specific information for the state you live in is to type into your search engine %26quot;alternative certification Texas (or whatever state you are from). If you didn't get your BA then I would talk to the teacher certification department at one of your local colleges. With a little luck, you could be teaching next school year.
Changing careers and becoming a teacher ? Want to teach but don't have any experience..?
If you don't have enough relivent experience you may need to consider going to College. If you can go full time year around you should be able to finish in 3 years.
go observe some teachers- middl/ high- as manyobsevations in as may different schools as u can.

make the decion with open eyes- not limiting yrself to anythgin at first.

they if u are sure then start reading some really good books like MARZANO or hands on learning activities.



we need math teachers who can brign in real life experiences and make math real -

we need people who can communicate and scaffold learning to that the students readch the aims of the class. weneed people who are passionate about their subjects and yet have the structures in place to calmly put info across.

we need listeners of students

students are the ones actively learnign - u are not the center of attention in the classroom - they should be showing u how they learn.

you have already a lot of strengths as a team player in the corporate world- bring them to the game

the gam e of learning!!!!



take some teachign courses first............
Honestly, it sounds like you'd be a great candidate for teaching. Just make sure you talk to any advisor type person at your college...each state has their own requirements. Your fellowship program should give you enough experience and I doubt you'll have any trouble.



Good Luck