Friday 7 October 2011

I am a nursery teacher and 1 mum ALWAYS brings her toddler with a poo diaper..?

I honestly suspect her to just wait to bring him untill he has filled his diaper.....(she always brings him like half an hour to an hour late) I was told by my boss to not talk to this mum about always being late) Any funny, but effective comments I could make to change this situation??? PS Of course changing diapers is my work, but it always messes up my morning programme...
I am a nursery teacher and 1 mum ALWAYS brings her toddler with a poo diaper..?
What I do when a parent does this on a continual basis....

When they come in and are chatting you check and if there is a poo then hand them a diaper and tell them that you will go and get them some wipes.

This is their child and they should NOT be using you like this. You are paid to take care of their child while they are in your care, you are not paid to take over for them completely!



As far as the being late thing....gotta go with your boss on this but I would definitely bring it up again if it keeps up and ask your boss to please restate the policy of the daycare to the parent. It is very disruptive for kids that come in late!
I am a nursery teacher and 1 mum ALWAYS brings her toddler with a poo diaper..?
Sorry, but if your boss says back off...ya gotta do it. Don't irk the clients is the first rule of business....you'll find yourself unemployed. Go back to school and get out of the poopie diaper trade....You can do it!!!
I would just come out and tell her. Ask her if there is a shortage of diapers. Better yet just hand the stinky baby over to your boss and see how she likes it.
Yes. But you sound more sociable and well mannered than I am. I immediately thought that I would like to tell her %26quot;Phewwee! Something about coming to nursery always brings out the worst response in Johnny%26quot; or %26quot;This place must just be the s***s for Billy!!!%26quot; and I would make either remark with a smile every morning until the mother realized she was the only one who didn't seem to give a s*** too!!! @8-)
My answer may be biased, as I'm against infants and toddlers in the childcare system, and I am also against strict rigid schedules and programs for infants and toddlers. I stay at home with my toddler.



There could be several reasons for this. Toddlers can be weird sometimes. If she brings her toddler in there every day at the same time, this could be about the time that the toddler usually does his business. My toddler does his business and pretty basically the same time every day, or every other day, but it's usually about the same time.



The other thing: Maybe it's something about sitting in the car seat on the way to daycare that makes toddler want to do number 2? Just throwing that out there. Maybe he is learning to use the potty, and sitting in the car seat feels like sitting in the potty or something. My toddler sits on anything thats shaped or feels like a potty and pees. He thinks that's what it's for.



3rd thing: I don't feel that society pays childcare workers enough. Zookeepers get paid more on average than those who keep our children and wipe their butts every day, and that's wrong. Is this mother aware that her child has a poopy diaper every day before she brings him in? Maybe if you outright tell her just in a lighthearted way. There may be a very good reason for why this is that she can explain to you, and you two can work out a truce or something. She changes diapers that happen before she leaves. And of course, you change the ones that happen after she leaves. Or, you take turns, or something. After all you are getting paid for caring for her child if she is not there. Dirty diapers are not always immediately noticable.



I also don't understand how a poopy diaper can mess up your morning program. If you are taking care of a bunch of toddlers, you gotta know that you need to expect the unexpected--which this, by the way, doesn't even seem to be all that unexpected to you since you say this happens every day. Are their other toddlers in diapers there? Don't they do number 2 from time to time, and need their diapers changed? Even though most of the time, toddlers do their number 2 at around same time every day, they do go through different stages in which they change up time periods for doing their business for various different reasons and stages that they go through and weird phases.



If your morning program for your toddlers is so rigid that you can't even allow for an occassional, or even routine, diaper change, then perhaps you need to tweak and adjust or program in order to allow for more free time and flexibility. They're toddlers in diapers, for Christ's sake. What do you expect?
It is possible that he likes to go in the car. I know my son does. If I was his mom though, I'd change him once I got to the daycare. Some people are just thoughtless though. I understand how it disrupts the day - she probably brings him in right in the middle of circle time, right? And all the kids who you are trying to read to want to pay more attention to who's coming in the room. And you feel like he should be changed asap. I don't know what your schools policy is on arrival times, but if there are rules about it, perhaps you could speak to your director about notifying all the parents about it, so they are not singled out. All of the child care centers I worked at did not have a policy - children were pretty much allowed to be dropped off whenever, so if this is the case there's really nothing you can do about it.



If that's the case, and he's coming in during circle time, I'd just encourage him to join the group as soon as he gets there, and change him afterwards. You could say something to her, but the problem with that is you always run the risk of offending her, and she'll complain to your boss, who will probably cite you with a warning or similar. Such is the bureaucracy of the workplace. I feel your pain - I have worked in child care centers and preschools for many years. Good luck!
  • grey hair
  • remove pimple and ance
  •