Friday 7 October 2011

Help with changing what a file opens with automatically?

I accidentally opened a *.cfg file with notepad.



Now it always opens with notepad, but I want it so that If I double click on it, Windows tells me that it can reconize it and prompt me to choose a program. I will never open it, but I want it like that as default, as my GTA San Andreas doesn't work anymore.



I have tried reinstalling it, but it still does the same thing. I did edit that file, but even after reinstalling it, it still didnt work.



I have right clicked on that file then gone properties%26gt;opens with: notepad Change. But the %26quot;always use this application to run the type of file is faded out so I can't untick or tick it.



I only started getting this error message after opening this file with notepad.



Please Help, Thanks In advance
Help with changing what a file opens with automatically?
Open control panel %26gt; Folder options %26gt; file type tab: scroll down to CFG extension and delete file association. Click Apply %26gt; OK
Help with changing what a file opens with automatically?
right click - open with - browse (w/e it says) and pick the program



at the bottom - make sure u click to make it default - and press ok... your set..
In windows 98, there was file types tab in

control panel%26gt;folder option which is missing in vista.

Read this

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/arti鈥?/a>



Hope this helps.