Wednesday 26 October 2011

How do I change the default program a file opens with?

For instance when I open some jpgs my computer wants to open them with adobe reader instead of preview but AR can't read them! Or if I click on a PDF my computer always opens them into Photoshop instead of AdobeReader or Illustrator(I use it more than PS). In order to open these files into the right program I need to right click and go to open with... Do you know how annoying this is and how much god damn time I waste? I'm going insane. HEEEELP!!!
How do I change the default program a file opens with?
right-click on a jpg, open with



make sure in that window that the box saying %26quot;always open files of this type with this program%26quot; is checked.



you're good.
How do I change the default program a file opens with?
As you mention Preview I assume you are using a mac.



Select a file whose default application you want to change and press Command I or go to menu File%26gt;Get Info.



You will see a section titled Open With, you may have to click on the disclosure triangle to display it fully.



Select the application you want to use to open this type of file and click on Change All.



So for example pdf file you would want to open with Acrobat Reader, once you have selected this and Change All every .pdf file will open in Reader.



If you want to override this for any particular file, right click on it to Open With... and select your alternative choice.
What version of windows are you running?

In windows 7 you go to start and then go to default program and select what program you want to use to open it.



Or if you want to do it individually you can right click on it and go to open with. then chose the program with.
  • how to format drive
  • mentally ill person
  •