Wednesday 26 October 2011

Possibly changing careers at 25?

I graduated college in 2006 with a B.A. in English and writing. I have since been working as a paralegal, and currently enjoy the firm for which I am working. I enjoy the work for the most part, but lately I have been wondering if this is really what I want to do. I know that my English degree helps in this field, but I sometimes question whether or not I'm selling myself too short. I have gone back and forth between continuing as a paralegal and going back to school to become an English teacher. I would basically have the program completely paid for, and I believe I could juggle going to class and working full-time, as I've done it before. The problem is, I'm very nervous about changing career, as I would be out of my comfort zone. I've always been shy, although I've become more outgoing wth age. I would love more than anything to teach literature and/or writing, especially to middle school students, and that is when I really got into writing. Any advice?
Possibly changing careers at 25?
I think 25 is not too early nor too late to make a career change. Comfort zones can actually be a dangerous thing for us sometimes. We can get complacent, then let %26quot;opportunities%26quot; pass us by. It only knocks once, or so they say.
Possibly changing careers at 25?
You should do it! You stated yourself that you would like to teach more than anything and you are only 25, not 75! Plus, your currently position would make you more employable and it is what you truly want to do. Another point is that if you chose not to, you will always wish that you had of.
do it, if you love literature, and you enjoy kids than teaching will be great. Now remember just like any job their are things that suck, low pay, bad admin. but this can be overcome by caring about your kids. Their is a teacher shortage in the west, but in the midwest teachers are loosing their jobs. The trick in teaching is teaching your passion or love of literature to kids that just want to myspace or text.
I think it is a great idea. You are only two years out of school - not exactly ancient - and it would be relatively easy to get a credential. You could certainly do that part time. The only thing I would look into is the demand in your state, as some are hiring, while others are laying teachers off.



By the way, as to shyness, one of the best ways to overcome it is to work with young people. I was very shy when I started teaching, and I still have some trouble speaking in front of my peers, but never with students.
An enormous service you could do for yourself is to explore your options deeper. If you were to become a teacher: where would you like to teach? Contact the area's district office's of public %26amp; private education centers...acquire their policies %26amp; procedures, as well as the expectations of their staff %26amp; salary possibilities (most are pretty much the same). Do you really want to teach under their limitations %26amp; leadership agenda? Then look into the Waldorf school system and compare--Huge difference!!! With much more diverse opportunity %26amp; freedom for the teacher to encompass, and in 1 year you could be in the classroom.



Challenge makes you nervous??? Allow me to share a little 'secret': You do not %26quot;become%26quot; of old %26amp; comfortable...you %26quot;become%26quot; of new %26amp; explorable. Life is an adventure, My Dear...an adventure %26amp; opportunity to become the grandest You that little heart desires...%26quot;To be, or not to be...%26quot; the only choice of every situation we face. (sound familiar??? lol:)



Keep your soul sounds in tune as you explore those opts...they scream pretty loud when the right move comes along...if you are listening.



Good Journey!!!
ok. i'm going to start this with IN THE CURRENT ECONOMIC TIMES, you need %26quot;the bird in the hand%26quot;. yeah, you may question, but, right now a JOB is a JOB. let's just walk this out. What if you don't like teaching? i'd rather have a job where i enjoy life than worry about a job where every year I have to worry whether or not someone likes me.
I made a career change when I was 24, from the business world into teaching. It can be done, and I've been teaching full time for 3 years...



Your best bet would be to find a college near you that offers a %26quot;Post-Bacculareate Certification Program%26quot; (i can never spell that word)...If they offer this, then they will offer classes in the evening. You would need to do a semester of student teaching, and that would be during the day.



Do what you love. If it is what you want, then go for it. Better at 25 than 55, right?