Friday 7 October 2011

Should I stick to "the program?"?

I'm clean %26amp; sober for 15 months and sometimes i feel like the same distructive person...jus tsober (this is how i feel today, i am aware that this feeling will change-it always does). But sometimes i feel like the Promises are indeed extravagent. Should i work the steps over again? maybe new sponor? Shouild i do more service? Should i just hide under a rock and wait for death. i hate when i feel like this and when i make big misateks and have to make ammends....again! ovber and over again to the same people for the same stupid things! Fellow recovering addicts, i need your help!
Should I stick to %26quot;the program?%26quot;?
Iv been an alcoholic for about 20 of my 38 years of my life. Ive been sober now for a little more then three years. 15 months is great, whatever you do, dont give up because it does get easyer. Recovery is a life-long process and is something you must work on all the time. Im just now getting to the point where im feeling normal and Ive worked very hard to get where Im at today even if it is just feeling normal. I felt the same way you do and it's normal to feel that way just dont drink or use.. ONE DAY AT A TIME. A wise old man at one of my meetings once told me that if you re stuck on the first step for the rest of you're life, that's ok. different people recover in different ways. Some take longer others dont take as long but we all have one thing in commen and you know what that is so please don't beat yourself up. There are things that I said and did that I will never be able to forgive myself for the rest of my life but I just thank GOD that Im clean today. Keep fighting and dont give in, youre doing great and when you find youre nich and youre happy, stick with it.
Should I stick to %26quot;the program?%26quot;?
understand that you control your future and the past will reoccur if you do not stay strong and stay focused on the future.
well my father went through this kinda thing. hes been sober for about a year now. he finds things to do like hobbies and things. try picking up a couple of hobbies that you will like. that should help because u will be focusing on things other than how u feel. hope this helps and good luck.
I drink alot less now that I have a woman in my life. Since I've been with my fiance, I'm not bored and lonely and have too much time on my hand. I spent years as a binge drinker. I would drink once or twice a week, but always like a fifth of rum at a time. Once I get started, I just keep mixing more drinks. I've never sought the kind of help that you receive. My fiance hardly ever drinks and I dont want to be a buffoon around her, so I dont. Here's my take on it: the point is to be able to moderate. I learned my drinking habits when I was a late teen and I have never been able to break those habits. I like to drink and I will continue to, but I have to learn to moderate myself. If I can stop after two drinks, I can be OK. If I guzzle the whole bottle, I have failed. (I always mix with soda, so a drink is like a 32 oz cup, to me) I guess it's a test of maturity, and it can be hard to be mature when you're drunk.